[Haskell-cafe] Re: ghci can't find Paths_ module created by cabal

Thomas Hartman tphyahoo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 23:31:16 EDT 2009

from my bash hints file:

thartman at ubuntu:~/haskellInstalls/gitit>thartman_ghci_with_data_files
    See http://neilmitchell.blogspot.com/2008/02/adding-data-files-using-cabal.html
    Snip:

       The above method works well after a program has been installed,
but is harder to work with while developing a program. To alleviate
these problems, we can add our own Paths module to the program, for
example:

        module Paths_hoogle where

        getDataFileName :: FilePath -> IO FilePath
        getDataFileName = return

        Place this module alongside all the other modules. While
developing the program our hand-created Paths module will be invoked,
which says the data is always in the current directory. When doing a
Cabal build, Cabal will choose its custom generated Paths module over
ours, and we get the benefits of Cabal managing our data.