[Haskell-cafe] What is the current state of affairs with supercompilation?

Eugene Kirpichov ekirpichov at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 02:44:32 EDT 2009

Hi.

I became intrigued with supercompilation; what is the current state of
affairs with it?

I know that there exist experimental supercompilers for Java and REFAL.

I know of the existence of jhc and its follower lhc, although I don't
know quite well what they can and what they can't.
I know that ghc is probably going to have a supercompiler inside. I,
again, don't know how broads the plans are.

I'm mainly interested in the following:
 - What supercompilers do exist, except for the ones mentioned above?
 - What academic organizations do research in the area?
 - What papers should be read by someone eager to learn about
supercompilation and maybe to make research contributions?
 - What are some solved problems and some open problems in supercompilation?

--
Eugene Kirpichov
Web IR developer, market.yandex.ru