[Haskell-cafe] ANN: GlomeVec, IcoGrid

Jim Snow jsnow at cs.pdx.edu
Mon Oct 26 01:07:55 EDT 2009

I just uploaded two packages to hackage.

The first package [1] is the vector library used by my haskell
ray-tracer, Glome, which has been neglected of late.  It's one of the
first things I ever wrote in Haskell, so some of the code looks a little
strange to me now, but it works pretty well for a wide variety of
computational geometry tasks.  I also included a perlin noise
implementation.

I released GlomeVec so that I would have a reasonable vector library to
work off of for my other project, which is the IcoGrid library [2].
IcoGrid (Icosahedron Grid) is a library for dealing with grids of
hexagons and pentagons wrapped around a sphere.  Individual grid cells
are identified by an integer, and the library can find all the neighbors
of a given cell, it can find all the places where three cells intersect
at a point, and it can also tell you where in 3-D space the center of
the cell is.  (The cells are positioned on the surface of a sphere with
unit 1.)  The one very useful function I haven't implemented yet is,
given an arbitrary point, find the cell that the point "belongs" in.

I posted a screenshot on the Haskell wiki [3] showing an OpenGL
application I wrote that uses IcoGrid.  My initial goal was to write
some sort of simple environmental simulator that can eventually be made
into a game.  The grid turned out to be a pretty big project by itself,
so I turned it into a stand-alone library.

Both libraries have haddock docs, but they aren't showing up on
hackage.  Is there a trick to tell hackage it needs to generate docs, or
do I just need to wait for a cron job to run?

-jim

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/GlomeVec
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/IcoGrid
[3] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/IcoGrid