[Haskell-cafe] Re: Snow Leopard breaks GHC

Brian Sniffen bts at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 4 08:50:17 EDT 2009

Having edited the Haskell Platform's /usr/bin/ghc in place, most
packages install fine.  I'm still having trouble with Pandoc, even
given the advice:

> Once cabal works, options --ld-option=-m32 (and also --gcc-option=-m32)
> may be used. These options may also be passed to "./Setup configure"

The problem appears to come when linking an incompatible zlib version:

src/Text/Pandoc/ODT.hs:49:26:
  Exception when trying to run compile-time code:
    user error (Codec.Compression.Zlib: incompatible zlib version)
    Code: ($) makeZip "data" </> "odt-styles"
  In the first argument of `read', namely
      `$(makeZip $ "data" </> "odt-styles")'
  In the expression: read ($(makeZip $ "data" </> "odt-styles"))
  In the definition of `refArchive':
      refArchive = read ($(makeZip $ "data" </> "odt-styles"))

The same problem occurs when making any call to Codec.Archive.Zip or
Codec.Compression.Zlib.

I do have a universal zlib installed by MacPorts, as well as the
universal zlib that shipped with Snow Leopard and the universal zlib
that came with Cabal.  I'm not sure whether this message indicates
that TH code is searching a different library path than non-TH code or
what.  Advice is most welcome.  I'm particularly interested in finding
out which zlib versions are being found at the construction of
Codec.Compression.Zlib and at runtime (Pandoc compile time).

--
Brian Sniffen
http://evenmere.org/~bts/