[Haskell-cafe] RE: Resolving overloading loops for circular constraint graph

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 10 04:55:29 EDT 2009

Stefan

You are trying to do something quite delicate here.

The whole idea of solving constraints in a co-inductive way (building a recursive group of dictionary definitions) relies on spotting something we've seen before to "tie the knot".  To date, the main application I knew for this fairly exotic idea was described in the SYB3 paper [1].  So I'm curious about your application (and that of anyone else) that relies on this recursive-dictionary-solving mechanism.

Returning to your problem, this "loop spotting" mechanism is rather syntactic at the moment, whereas your application needs something more refined, involving equality modulo type function reductions.  Alas, the constraint solving machinery for type classes and for type functions is not properly integrated.  I'm amazed it works as well as it does, actually.

We [Manuel, Dimitrios, and I] are (slowly, slowly) working on a complete rewrite of GHC's constraint-solving mechanism.  I'm pretty sure that it'll solve this problem among many others.  But don't hold your breath.  It'll be months not weeks.  But not years!

sorry not to be able to solve your problem sooner.  I'll open a ticket.

Simon

[1] http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/hmap