[Haskell-cafe] help with cabal; trying to escape from configuration hell

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Tue Sep 22 11:42:41 EDT 2009

S. Doaitse Swierstra wrote:
> I am trying to run happstack on my Mac, but unfortunately I am getting
> error messages as described in:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/happstack/issues/detail?id=88
>
> The cure seems to be to downgrade to network-2.2.0.1, but unfortunately
> my installed cabal depends on network-2.2.1.4.

There's a better cure if you're willing to modify & build Happstack.
Gregory Collins describes it in this message:

    http://groups.google.com/group/HAppS/msg/0c9a0d0fd7c6aff0

It needs to be applied in the following file:

    happstack-server/src/Happstack/Server/HTTP/Socket.hs

Replace the definition of acceptLite with the one in the above email,
and rebuild happstack-server.

The problem seems to be that on OS X, the Template Haskell code to
detect at compile time whether IPv6 support is available is failing and
causing the wrong code to get compiled in.

Anton