[Haskell-cafe] gtk2hs and runghc

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 24 09:17:36 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 00:10 +0200, Günther Schmidt wrote:
> Hi Duncan,
>
> so ... I have a green light to call gtk from within a forkIO thread for as
> long as I make sure that the rts is single threaded?

Yes and that works very nicely (with the cooperative scheduling trick
described in the gtk2hs FAQ).

> BTW: I was already strongly put off using unsafeInitGUIwForThreadedRTS but
> thanks for the warning.
>
> Thus my back to my original question: Can I start either ghci or runghc
> with a single-threaded rts so I don't have to compile the app every time I
> want to check my really trick GUI code?

No. The ghc binary itself (ghc, runghc, ghci) is linked using the
threaded runtime system. That's a link-time choice, there's no way to
turn it on/off at the command line (that might change in future with
shared libs).

Duncan