[Haskell-cafe] Re: combinatorial search with running bound

Michael Mossey mpm at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Sep 29 00:09:32 EDT 2009

Hi Chung-chieh,

When you ask for a pair of boxes, "How closely can they be brought together
without intersection?" that provides a lower bound on the question "How
closely can the groups be brought together?" (I.e. for that pair of boxes,
bring them any closer and they intersect, so it is a lower bound.) The
maximum of all these lower bounds in the minimum needed separation.

-Mike