[Haskell-cafe] Market Place for Haskell development teams?

Jörg Roman Rudnick joerg.rudnick at t-online.de
Tue Sep 29 05:48:52 EDT 2009

These problems are critical -- but not hopeless, I think:

(1) A simple technical matter, any average Haskell programmer (including
myself...) can build a platform, e.g. in Happstack or the like, to clear
this up (given you want to do this in Haskell ;-).

(4) This is a special one, which I have pondered on some time ago. The
customers' main concern seems to be "will this company still support me
in n years??"
o   if the project is interesting enough, I see hope there might be some
academic unit willing to partake in this, as I have heard enough
complaint of not having enough examples to demonstrate business
relevance to students. Normally, the customer should have no problem in
believing an academic unit and its interests to last some time.
o   I would propose to pick up the insourcing concept -- as, what I can
confirm by my own teaching experiences, it sometimes is easier to
introduce Haskell to beginners (once the do have sufficient OS
experience) then to people who already are adherents of some other
language. Ok, we might need some more introductory literature etc.

(3) Yes, there seem to be lots of people organized at a smaller level
than what I described -- groups of one or very few members, working on a
limited time range.

Yesterday, I would have written there should be remarkable interest in
greater projects, but, due to the poor resonance to my mail, I feel wary
to do so now.

(3)&(2) Such a reserved reaction might indicate many Haskellers are not
motivated by the money but by the fame, and -- as the lively succJava
thread shows -- what could be greater fame (besides the evaluation of
42) than stealing the Java etc. community just another attractive
project? ;-))

Do I go wrong in saying there's a good deal of competitive spirit in the
Haskell community interesting in taking claims away of other programming
cultures which have grown saturated over the years? And, isn't the this
*Haskeller bonus* indicating that doing the step to larger project
should not be as hard as for others?

A remaining issue might be a need for some facility to find cooperations
and realize synergies -- see (1).

Enough blah-blah. I got one email response (not posted to here) of a
highly qualified Haskeller whom I could name two projects which might
have interested him in his proximity, 80 miles and 75 miles away (and I
do not have so many...). My learning is that a communication platform in
this concern might be interesting to at least some of us. There are
larger projects possible -- if we pick them up.

All the best,

    Nick