[Haskell-cafe] Market Place for Haskell development teams?

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 07:18:28 EDT 2009

Some thoughs:

Most successful languages spread because they are part of a platform which
solves an IT problem. C was part of Unix, both brougth CPU independence when
this was necessary. Java is part of the Java platform, that brougth OS
independence and interoperability at the right time. .Download-execution on
the client was also a reason for the initial success of Java in the Internet
era.  Javascript is part of the web browser. The .NET languages are part of
NET.  Rubi and Pyton came with libraries targeted to Rapid development of
Internet applications.
What is the vehicle that haskell can use to enter the mainstream?. I think
that the mere interest of the ideas in the language is not enough.  Many
people will play with Haskell in the spare time, and many of them will be
permitted to develop some non critical applications at work. But that is
all.  Java was not designed for the Internet but it was re-targeted to it
because some needed features where already implemented in Java. Maybe
something like that will happen to Haskell.

I think that all the current niches are filled, but new niches  are coming.
specially with higher level programming that is made on top of current
sorware software infrastructure such are BPM, workflows, more flexible
scientific applicatins, creation of  models in business intelligence, as
part of ERPs,.Data mining too.  And higuer levels of netwrok communications(
for example, Google Wave robots) etc.

About the last point, sometimes a basically identical infrastructure is
re-engineered to a higher level, and a new language takes over. For example,
the  architecture of many Internet applications in the 80s was client-server
based, where C, C++ was the king. This was substituted by  the web
architecture with Java because Java was involved in the gradual change by
filling the holes of the new architecture.  It could be that in a few years,
instead of Web sites people could develop interoperable gadgets for
aggregators such are netvibes or IGoogle or, even more radical, robots and
gadgets in google Wave. Anyway, for sure, people will think and develop at a
higher level.

Financial applications are an example of higher level programming where
tasks usually performed by humans are now automatized and there is no or few
traditions about that. The need to think at a higher level without being
worried by side effects and other details are specially needed in such kind
of areas. That's where haskell could have its own niche.

Regards