[Haskell-cafe] Doing people's homework?

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 08:47:27 EDT 2009

On 29 Sep 2009, at 12:48, Daniel Fischer wrote:

> Am Dienstag 29 September 2009 13:04:38 schrieb Iain Barnett:
>> Personally, I tend to find "exercises" without access to the answers
>> a poor way to learn. You'll learn more from a well crafted example
>> than you ever will by struggling at something yourself.
>
> I sort of disagree. You'll learn more if you can read a well
> crafted example *after*
> you've struggled to get something good on your own.
> If you start inspecting an example before you've spent considerable
> effort understanding
> the matter on your own, you're likely to miss some important things.

So, if I was trying to come up with a solution to a problem that
possibly has multiple solutions, like building an engine for a car, I
would do better if I hadn't seen a (well crafted) working engine by
someone else than if I had?

If effort is there, then give me the example any time, because
insight will be quicker. If you're going to be lazy then it doesn't
matter either way.

Regards,
Iain