[Haskell-cafe] Doing people's homework?

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Tue Sep 29 12:14:43 EDT 2009

Am Dienstag 29 September 2009 14:47:27 schrieb Iain Barnett:
> On 29 Sep 2009, at 12:48, Daniel Fischer wrote:
> > Am Dienstag 29 September 2009 13:04:38 schrieb Iain Barnett:
> >> Personally, I tend to find "exercises" without access to the answers
> >> a poor way to learn. You'll learn more from a well crafted example
> >> than you ever will by struggling at something yourself.
> >
> > I sort of disagree. You'll learn more if you can read a well
> > crafted example *after*
> > you've struggled to get something good on your own.
> > If you start inspecting an example before you've spent considerable
> > effort understanding
> > the matter on your own, you're likely to miss some important things.
>
> So, if I was trying to come up with a solution to a problem that
> possibly has multiple solutions, like building an engine for a car, I
> would do better if I hadn't seen a (well crafted) working engine by
> someone else than if I had?

I thought we were talking about homework for a school/university course.
I tacitly assumed that the principles and some examples would have previously been given
in the lectures.
Then you're given the homework exercise to build upon those to solve a bigger task.

> If effort is there, then give me the example any time, because
> insight will be quicker.

But it will be deeper if you explored the matter first without your vision constrained by
the example.

> If you're going to be lazy then it doesn't matter either way.

True.