[Haskell-cafe] I read somewhere that for 90% of a wide class of computing problems, you only need 10% of the source code in Haskell, that you would in an imperative language.

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 05:02:42 EDT 2009

Yep, LINQ makes C# more enjoyable :-)  Scala and haXe also look nice, a bit
of a mix between OCaml/F#, C#/Java and Haskell.
Besides the fact that hacking in Haskell is a great deal of fun, the main
reason I see for learning Haskell: it makes you a better programmer.  After
a couple of years of playing with Haskell, I can now solve problems that I
couldn't before. It's of course hard to tell if Haskell is the reason here,
or just experience, but I feel it really is Haskell (actually, functional
programming). Haskell made me see the world in a different way (and if I see
Oleg's and co's code, I still have an infinitely long road ahead.

The main reason why you should not learn Haskell: it's a bit of a drug;
after you learned Haskell, programming in an "industrial strength" language
suddenly feels like a waste of time, time better spent learning more
Haskell...