[Haskell-cafe] I read somewhere that for 90% of a wide class of computing problems, you only need 10% of the source code in Haskell, that you would in an imperative language.

Salvatore Insalaco kirby81 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 06:12:38 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Andrew Coppin
<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I might also point out that 90% of all desktop computers run Windows, and
> yet every single C library binding on Hackage fails to compile on Windows.
> That really needs to be fixed. (Not to mention some of the standard I/O
> functions doing slightly strange things because GHC is calling POSIX
> compatibility functions rather than native I/O functions. For example,
> doesDirectoryExist "C:\\" = False.)

This is a problem of C / Posix, not a problem of Haskell. Haskell C
bindings compile on Windows without issues IF the corrisponding
library is available. It is compiling the (usually posix) C library in
Windows the real issue.

Anyway, on Windows Vista, cmd.exe:

GHCi, version 6.10.4: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
Prelude> :m System.Directory
Prelude System.Directory> doesDirectoryExist "C:\\"
True

Salvatore