[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskellers hate GUIs!!

Anthony Cowley acowley at seas.upenn.edu
Fri Apr 2 13:31:16 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Dominic Espinosa <dcespin at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Is there a general strategy for deploying Haskell apps, graphical or no,
> to MacOS X and/or Windows? I'm especially interested in cases where the
> application uses some heavyweight libraries like OpenGL.

I have a GUI app that I deploy on Mac and Linux that uses OpenGL and
wxHaskell. It has been a pretty good experience, but getting wx set up
on every development machine is hairier than cabal install. The good
news is that it was easy to set up a pure GLUT front end as well as a
wx one that both use the same OpenGL code for rendering graphically
intensive bits. I just have two build targets to switch between the
two.

For general cross-platform GUI apps that I need in a pinch, I turn to
PLT Scheme. They have a really excellent system in this regard.

Anthony