[Haskell-cafe] Where are the haskell elders?

Kim-Ee Yeoh a.biurvOir4 at asuhan.com
Mon Apr 5 10:35:51 EDT 2010

Something I've noticed is the phenomenon of Help Vampires [1] on this list.

Amy Hoy: "As soon as an open source project, language, or what-
have-you achieves a certain notoriety—its half-life, if you will—
they swarm in, seemingly draining the very life out of the
community itself."

She proceeds to give some tips on handling vampires.  Let me excerpt
from #2 Cease Enabling Behavior:

* Enforce autonomy. No matter how beneficent you’re feeling, never directly
answer a common question.

* Foster thinking. Even if it’s not a question you see go bye fifty times a
day… don’t answer it with a direct fix (unless the person is a known
non-vamp, or it’s a real puzzler).

* Reward self-help and helping others. Thank people who ask intelligent
questions and do research first, and people who make an effort to help
others. Tell them they’re a credit to the community.

[1] http://slash7.com/2006/12/22/vampires/
The post was apparently written as a follow-up to [2] that meditated on why
the Ruby on Rails community wasn't as good as it used to be.
[2] http://slash7.com/2006/03/22/s-o-s-save-our-sanity/