[Haskell-cafe] Where are the haskell elders?

Ben Millwood haskell at benmachine.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 13:11:22 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Kim-Ee Yeoh <a.biurvOir4 at asuhan.com> wrote:

> Something I've noticed is the phenomenon of Help Vampires [1] on this list.
>
> Amy Hoy: "As soon as an open source project, language, or what-
> have-you achieves a certain notoriety—its half-life, if you will—
> they swarm in, seemingly draining the very life out of the
> community itself."

Hmm. I admire her sentiments in a way - especially not blaming people
for asking bad questions - but I don't like labels or stereotypes and
I don't like condescension, so I would not be happy with this method
being adopted in general.

Especially "You're a help vampire" which I read as  "I'm going to
bundle you with a bunch of other people who annoy me and make you read
a patronising blog post to understand why you've just been compared to
a villainous mythological creature".

But I guess it's preferable to people losing patience entirely, so do
whatever you have to, I suppose.