[Haskell-cafe] Re: True Random Numbers

James Cook mokus at deepbondi.net
Mon Apr 5 18:12:53 EDT 2010

As the maintainer of random-fu, I'd be interested to know whether you
find it useful after further inspection.  It does, in fact, support
using /dev/random as its entropy source.  I don't know what exact sort
of things you're wanting to do, but very basic usage (random Int in IO
from DevRandom, etc.) is along these lines:

 > sampleFrom DevRandom (uniform 1 100) :: IO Int
 > sampleFrom DevRandom stdNormal :: IO Double

If the haddock docs are insufficient, feel free to drop me an email
for clarification - I know they're a bit spotty at the moment.

Minor warning: I'm getting ready to release a fairly major overhaul of
the library's innards (the latest is in the darcs repo).  The public
interface will probably not change much, but if you happen to end up
using any of the low-level interfaces (such as to define your own new
random source) just be aware that those are changing soon.  It's
nearing release, I'm mostly just trying to knock off rough edges and
trying to decide whether to "take the plunge" and make some interface
changes (mostly whether I want to hide some data constructors in order
to better enforce some invariants).

-- James Cook