[Haskell-cafe] Confusions about the Haskell Platform (for Mac)

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Thu Apr 8 02:29:06 EDT 2010

Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de> writes:

> However, I wanted to know what the etc stood for, with taking care of
> dependencies and uninstalling already mentioned. Upgrading, yes, but what
> else?

Keeping the system consistent with other systems?  If I use the system
packages, I can have a higher confidence that what works for me will
also work for users of the same distro.  And converse, so there'll be
more eyeballs per problem.

Reducing the load on system admins?  Although I might know the pros and
cons of upgrading to GHC 6.12.y from .x, my IT department are not likely
to.  And they have to support a dozen different languages for several
dozen users.  They are also more likely to trust things they get from
apt or yum repos, than tarballs off some random web site.

Centrally managed bug reporting system?  Not that Launchpad is awsomely
responsive, but at least there's *something*.

Support, in the sense that somebody is actually responsible for the
package?  (Unlike Hackage, where some packages have a
closed-for-nonsubscribers mailing list as 'maintainer'.)

(Probably 'etc.', but I can't think of more points at the moment.)

-k