[Haskell-cafe] multi-ghc: Managing Multiple GHC Distributions

Sean Leather leather at cs.uu.nl
Thu Apr 8 08:34:39 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 14:00, Bernie Pope <florbitous at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 April 2010 19:00, Sean Leather <leather at cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> > I created a few tools to help me manage multiple GHC distributions in a
> Bash
> > shell environment. Perhaps it's useful to others.
> >
> >   http://github.com/spl/multi-ghc
> >
> > Feedback welcome. I'd also like to know if something similar exists.
>
> I wonder if you could achieve the desired result with the "Modules
> Project":
>
>   http://modules.sourceforge.net/
>
> We use it at work for managing multiple versions of lots of different
> programs on a shared machine.

It looks interesting! Thanks.

It makes me sad to see it written in Tcl. I spent way too much time with the
language at my last job and did not enjoy it. But I grant that that is not a
reason to avoid using it.

I actually started out doing as they do, changing the PATH, but I decided
that was not a great solution for two reasons:
(1) It's inflexible and precludes the ability to set my PATH as I like.
(2) It requires sourcing a script instead of executing it. I didn't like
having no separation between my environment and the script's environment. It
was too easy to introduce spurious environment variables.

It would be nice if such a tool can potentially be written to work on
Windows as well.

Regards,
Sean