[Haskell-cafe] haskell gsoc proposal for richer numerical type classes and supporting algorithms

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 14:09:16 EDT 2010

Hi Carter,

You might be interested in the 'monoids' package on hackage, which I
constructed for my own research.

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/monoids-0.1.36

This package largely covers the first half of your proposal, and provides
machinery for automatic differentiation of monoids over bimodules, which
starts to cover some of the scope you describe in the second half of your
proposal. Later revisions drastically reduce scope, in part due to the
considerations below.

I'd like to point out a few things about why you might not want to do this.

A rigorous numerical prelude is a tedious thing in Haskell to extend or to
use in practice.

I think many people would agree that Num did not strike the right balance
between generality and power. There are many perfectly good numerical types
that don't fit into the strange 'self-semi-measured ring-like thing with
equality and an available textual representation' that makes up a Haskell
Num.

However, in the absence of the ability to declare class aliases, define
default members for your superclasses, and retoactively define superclasses,
a deeper numeric prelude is an exercise in frustration.

You can view the standard mathematical hierarchy as a lattice defined by the
laws associated with the structure in question. You can start with magma,
add associativity and get semigroup, or just add a unit and get a unital
magma, but mixing the two gives you a monoid, so on and so forth. So many of
the points on this lattice have names, others are just adjectival
modifications of other more primitive concepts.

However, if you ever skip a level, and say, omit 'Quasigroup' on the way to
defining 'Loop', you'll find that the nature of Haskell makes it hard to
retrofit such a level into your hierarchy. Afterall, any users who had
defined their own 'Loop' instances before, would now have to split their
definition in half. So, on one front, these deep hierarchies are brittle.

Another problem is the drastic increase in boilerplate to instantiate
anything deep within the hierarchy. When every Field is a Magma, SemiGroup,
Monoid, QuasiGroup, Loop, Group, UnitalMagma, MultiplicativeMagma,
MultiplicativeSemiGroup, MultiplicativeMonoid, MultiplicativeQuasiGroup,
MultiplicativeLoop, MultiplicativeGroup, Ringoid, LeftSemiNearRing,
RightSemiNearRing, SemiNearRing, Rng, SemiRing, Ring, and Field with the
attendant instances to form a vector space (and hence module, etc.) over
itself and the canonical modules over the naturals (as a monoid) and
integers (as a group), the amount of boilerplate reaches a level of patent
absurdity. You have to instantiate each of those classes and provide default
definitions for properties that are clearly inferrable. Yes the
MultiplicativeQuasiGroup's notion of left and right division are uniquely
the same, but you still have to write the lines that say it, for every
instance. Template Haskell can help dull the pain, but the result seems
hardly idiomatic.

The amount of code to define a new Field-like object can baloon to well over
a hundred lines, and in the above I didn't even address how to work with
near-field-like concepts like Fields and Doubles, which don't support all of
the laws but which have the same feel.

Finally, there is the issue of adoption. Incompatibility with the Prelude is
a major concern. Ultimately your code has to talk to other people's code,
and the impedence mismatch can be high.

-Edward Kmett

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 1:23 AM, Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald at gmail.com