[Haskell-cafe] Re: GSoC: Hackage 2.0

Matthew Gruen wikigracenotes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 19:38:07 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Maciej Piechotka <uzytkownik2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess 'works also with B in version X.Y.Z' is also. Most of the above
> changes should not be IMHO in cabal (sorry for answering PS here).
> Especially 'not maintained anymore' and 'does not build on recent
> GHC' ;)
>
> <quote>
>
> As we are with Haddock - 'rebuild' button if package failed to build?
> For some reasons some packages fails to build on hackage (as yi). I'm
> not sure if it will work however. At least uploading docs should be
> possible.
>
> Regards

More flexibility for building times is a good thing, but people
shouldn't able to DDOS the server by compiling, since it's a rather
CPU-intensive thing, or by building documentation. Now, it looks like
yi fails because data-accessor-template fails because of TH versioning
issues (seemingly). I like the ideas of docs you can upload to get
around these sorts of problems, and the ability to add links to other
docs and tutorials. People could edit Hackage to reference
haskellwiki, community.haskell.org, and other sites/services.

I see what you mean about the changes being segregated from cabal, and
I agree here. There's a set of information that's useful both for the
web interface and for cabal-install (which is what Hackage currently
displays, although perhaps not enough of it), and that should stay in
the .cabal files. But, other information that's user-editable on
Hackage is a plus.

/Matt