[Haskell-cafe] Re: Asynchronous exception wormholes kill modularity

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 05:53:13 EDT 2010

On 09/04/2010 09:40, Bertram Felgenhauer wrote:
> Simon Marlow wrote:
>> but they are needlessly complicated, in my opinion.  This offers the
>> same functionality:
>>
>> mask :: ((IO a ->  IO a) ->  IO b) ->  IO b
>> mask io = do
>>    b<- blocked
>>    if b
>>       then io id
>>       else block $ io unblock
>
> How does forkIO fit into the picture? That's one point where reasonable
> code may want to unblock all exceptions unconditionally - for example to
> allow the thread to be killed later.

Sure, and it works exactly as before in that the new thread inherits the
masking state of its parent thread.  To unmask exceptions in the child
thread you need to use the restore operator passed to the argument of mask.

This does mean that if you fork a thread inside mask and don't pass it
the restore operation, then it has no way to ever unmask exceptions.  At
worst, this means you have to pass a restore value around where you
didn't previously.

>      timeout t io = block $ do
>          result<- newEmptyMVar
>          tid<- forkIO $ unblock (io>>= putMVar result)
>          threadDelay t `onException` killThread tid
>          killThread tid
>          tryTakeMVar result

This would be written

 >      timeout t io = mask $ \restore -> do
 >          result<- newEmptyMVar
 >          tid<- forkIO $ restore (io>>= putMVar result)
 >          threadDelay t `onException` killThread tid
 >          killThread tid
 >          tryTakeMVar result

though the version of timeout in System.Timeout is better for various
reasons.

Cheers,
	Simon