[Haskell-cafe] GSoC Project: A Haddock + Pandoc documentation tool

David Waern david.waern at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 11:56:39 EDT 2010

2010/4/9 Alvaro Vilanova Vidal (viator) <alvivi at gmail.com>:
>> 2) Integration with Haddock docs.
>>
>> I think it would be best if the pages generated by this system and the
>> pages generated by Haddock would be integrated as much as possible -
>> both style wise (sharing CSS, structure, headers, footers, sidebars
>> etc) and also in terms of hyper linking. Identifiers in your
>> documentation should go to the Haddock docs. It should feel as if the
>> Haddock pages are just a part of the whole documentation structure.
>
> I agree, and I tried to represent that in the example (but I created a new
> css). All the documentation will be rendered by Pandoc so there is no
> difference between the format of each side. [...]

If we want /one/ API reference (and not one generated by Pandoc and
one generated by Haddock), then I think we need to generate it in
XHTML format directly. There is no sensible way to transmit all the
semantic information we need to be able to style and layout the
different Haskell declaration through the markup languages supported
by Pandoc. One can embed HTML but I suspect it's not the right
solution.

David