[Haskell-cafe] Cabal dependency hell

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 12 06:56:28 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-04-11 at 18:43 +0200, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
> >       * Build reporting in the hackage server
> >         The idea here is that cabal sends back anonymous reports to the
> >         server to say if a package compiled or not, and against what
> >         versions of dependencies. This would make it clearer to
> >         maintainers if their dependency versions are correct.
> >         Additionally I think it would be useful for hackage to provide
> >         tweaked .cabal files for packages with updated constraints, even
> >         without new version uploads.
> >         We are proposing a GSoC project which would cover some of this.
> >

> Hmm. I guess there are 2 problems:
>
>  - Privacy problem. I don't want the software to call home with data
> without asking.

Obviously it is important that the data be anonymous and that we do not
send stuff without the user's knowledge. While there is not any directly
identifying information in the existing anonymous build reports, one has
to be very careful with how much access the server provides to the
reports or it may become possible to infer identifying information.

For example you might happen to know that I'm one of the few users on
Sparc/Linux. Another possible attack is to try to discover timing of
uploaded reports by the attacker inserting their own reports at regular
intervals. If the server provided direct access to reports, in order of
upload time, then this would give away timing of uploads. Similarly, if
all reports were kept together then one could identify bunches of
packages uploaded at the same time and infer they are from the same
user.

So yes, it needs careful thought. Perhaps we cannot give clients access
to the raw reports at all. Perhaps it's enough to separate reports by
package and to delay publishing new ones for a day or two, and to
randomise the order when they are made available.

>  - Spoofing problem. Someone can feed wrong data easily without chance
> of being discovered (for example to prove how grate 'haxor' he is).

I don't think that's a major problem. One has to treat the data with
that possibility in mind.

There's also the option for authenticated non-anoymous reports with
build logs.

Duncan