[Haskell-cafe] Re: instance Eq (a -> b)

roconnor at theorem.ca roconnor at theorem.ca
Wed Apr 14 06:41:55 EDT 2010

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, Ashley Yakeley wrote:

> Joe Fredette wrote:
>> this is bounded, enumerable, but infinite.
>
> The question is whether there are types like this. If so, we would need a new
> class:
>
>  class Finite a where
>    allValues :: [a]
>
>  instance (Finite a,Eq b) => Eq (a -> b) where
>     p == q = fmap p allValues == fmap q allValues

As ski noted on #haskell we probably want to extend this to work on
Compact types and not just Finite types

instance (Compact a, Eq b) => Eq (a -> b) where ...

For example (Int -> Bool) is a perfectly fine Compact set that isn't
finite and (Int -> Bool) -> Int has a decidable equality in Haskell (which
Oleg claims that everyone knows ;).

I don't know off the top of my head what the class member for Compact
should be.  I'd guess it should have a member search :: (a -> Bool) -> a
with the specificaiton that p (search p) = True iff p is True from some a.
But I'm not sure if this is correct or not.  Maybe someone know knows more
than I do can claify what the member of the Compact class should be.

<http://math.andrej.com/2007/09/28/seemingly-impossible-functional-programs/>