[Haskell-cafe] problem with cabal on snow leopard

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 17:56:54 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Carter Schonwald
<carter.schonwald at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I can't seem to find it documented anywhere as to the default directories
> that cabal puts its information in  (its certainly not in ~/.cabal ),  as
> I'm finding that even when I try to do a "reinstall" of the haskell
> platform, cabal thinks that all the libraries i removed are still there. how
> can i fix this?
> thanks
> -Carter

~/.cabal doesn't store regular Haskell stuff; if you try one of the
few uncabalized autotools-based Haskell packages, you'd see your other
Cabal-based libs & progs picking it up. Cabal installs stuff and
registers it with GHC, which maintains the master database of what's
installed; eg. 'ghc-pkg list'. This is usually kept in ~/.ghc:
find ~/.ghc/ :
.ghc/
.ghc/ghci_history
.ghc/i386-linux-6.10.4