GUI (was: Re: [Haskell-cafe] DLL on Windows)

Jeremy O'Donoghue jeremy.odonoghue at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 21:54:35 EDT 2010

On 18/04/2010, Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de> wrote:
> Am Sonntag 18 April 2010 21:41:06 schrieb Daniel Fischer:
>> wx-config should have been installed as part of the wxWidgets package.
>> Is that not included in the windows-installer of wxWidgets?
>
> Seems it's not so.
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/WxHaskell/Building says
> "Windows users should also get the Windows port of wx-config."
> ( http://sites.google.com/site/wxconfig/

Sadly, the Windows port of wxWidgets doesn't contain wx-config (all of
the Unix variants have it - it's a shell script), which is a major
problem as this by far the simplest way for the build system to work
out the options used to build wxWidgets.

The Windows port of wx-config is an attempt to fix this problem, but
only currently supports gcc, hence the restriction to using MinGW
(although I guess Cygwin would probably work).

>> > If wxHaskell could be installed with one cabal command that would be
>> > incredibly cool :-)
>
> Well, it's just one cabal command if you have all non-Haskell requirements
> installed as needed.

An option I am looking at is creating a basic Windows installer for
wxHaskell which would contain a compiled copy of wxWidgets and a copy
of wx-config, and which would run cabal install wxWidgets out of the
box. (basic here means you probably don't get to choose anything at
all - not even where the wxWidgets libraries get installed)

Provided that I don't need to maintain a source distribution, this
might be a good way forward for some Windows users. The installer
would be updated for 'significant' wxWidgets updates (you would be
able to 'cabal install wx' at any time wxHaskell is updated once you
have all of the libraries)

Any interest - please let me know.

Regards Jeremy