[Haskell-cafe] Re: Move MonadIO to base

Anders Kaseorg andersk at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 20 23:01:36 EDT 2010

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, wren ng thornton wrote:
>     -- | The isomorphic Haskell98 version
>     class Monad m => MonadJoinIO m where
>         -- | Embed the IO into the monad m
>         joinIO :: IO (m a) -> m a
>
>         -- | Extract the IO computation to the top level,
>         -- rendering the m pure from IO.
>         partIO :: m a -> IO (m a)
>
>     -- | The isomorphisms
>     joinIO'  m = morphIO (m >>=)
>     morphIO' f = joinIO (f partIO)

To establish an isomorphism, you also need to define partIO from morphIO.
For example, I don’t see how I could define
  partIO :: IO a -> IO (ReaderT r IO a)
that extracts effects into the outer IO, because the effects depend on
some unknown state of type r.

By the way:

> This bounced because I have different emails registered for cafe@ and
> libraries@, so forwarding it along to the cafe.

You can sign up both addresses for the list, then log in to the Mailman
web interface ( http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe →
Unsubscribe or edit options) and disable mail delivery on one of them.
Then you get one copy of each message but you can post from either
address.

Anders