[Haskell-cafe] Unicode strings and runCommand / runProcess

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Fri Apr 23 22:14:55 EDT 2010

Khudyakov Alexey wrote:
>> Actually, the behavior of openFile when given a String with characters >
>> 0xFF is also completely undocumented.  I am not sure what it does with
>> that.  It should probably be the same as runCommand, whatever it is.
>>
> Under unices file names are just array of bytes. There is no notion of encoding
> at all. It's just matter of interpretation of that array.

Quite right.  One must be able to pass binary strings, which contain
anything except \0 and '/' to openFile.  The same goes for runCommand.
I am uncomfortable, for this reason, with saying that runCommand ought
to re-encode in the system locale while openFile doesn't.  It is
preferable to drop characters than to drop the ability to pass arbitrary
binary data.

So I am not sure I agree with your stance in

-- John