[Haskell-cafe] Compressing GHC tarballs with LZMA

David Virebayre dav.vire+haskell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 09:03:35 EDT 2010

>> How common is support for .xz on the platforms we are interested in here?

> Not very.  dpkg may support it in the future, but that is a somewhat closed
> platform where Debian folks are in charge of both the archive and the tool
> used to unpack it.

Trying to install xz on kubuntu brings a serious warning :

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  lzma
  xz-utils
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  lzma (due to dpkg)
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
Need to get 173kB of archives.
After this operation, 233kB of additional disk space will be used.
You are about to do something potentially harmful.
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'