[Haskell-cafe] Re: FRP for game programming / artifical life simulation

Christopher Lane Hinson lane at downstairspeople.org
Sun Apr 25 11:09:29 EDT 2010

> 1) In FRP, there is no global *type*  GameState  that stores the whole
> game state. Rather, the game state is implicit in the collection of
> "active" computations. This is also why state updating and drawing is
> woven together in FRP, which is good syntactically, but hard to
> disentangle for interpolation.

I disagree somewhat with this.  FRP should be thought of like the IO
monad, out of which everything that can be lifted, should be, especially
the GameState.

I like to imagine that the FRP's job is to observe the GameState and
reenact changes therein.  Some changes take a little while to act out, and
the FRP element that is doing the action can signal that it isn't ready
for the next transition.  Or, if no changes occur, the actors can stand
around doing idle animations.

Friendly,
--Lane