[Haskell-cafe] Re: The instability of Haskell libraries

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Tue Apr 27 00:55:56 EDT 2010

On 2010-04-24, John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:
> It is a funny thing, because our fundamental libraries *have* had time
> to settle down, in a sense.  In another sense, I must say that the
> innovations we have seen recently have been sorely needed and are
> unquestionably a good thing.

Overall, agreed.  It still makes it a pain to write to the current
standard, because it is moving.

> Unicode support in IO,

This was "just" a bugfix in GHC, made more painful by people writing
code dependent on the old behaviour.

> I guess this is the price of failing to avoid
> success, to borrow Simon's phrase.  And again, not entirely bad.

I despair that a better Numeric hierarchy will never make it into
Haskell.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-