[Haskell-cafe] Re: FRP for game programming / artifical life simulation

Christopher Lane Hinson lane at downstairspeople.org
Thu Apr 29 15:15:50 EDT 2010

Basically, this is the "differential equation hairball" I mentioned earlier.  You can define a set of Operators -- a modification of Mealy automata that accepts two inputs -- and any mapping of inputs to outputs within the "Operation" monad.

The Operation monad uses an existentially quantified parameter for the same purpose as the 'ST' monad, to prevent the introduction of foreign values.

Within the 'Hairball' type, (Int,Int,Int,o) means (destination address, first source address, second source address, automaton).  I don't actually use the destination address because the list is built in indexable order anyway.

'alpha' and 'beta' correspond to the two inputs that every automaton receives.  The Hairball is itself a valid automaton.

This is roughly the system I imagine people should be used when I keep saying, "don't use FRP to implement something that isn't I/O."  The whole thing is trivially readable, writable, recursive, and actually a stream processor.  On the downside you need to specify an entire interpreted DSL just to use it.

In the 'Numeric' example, 'alpha' is the variable and 'beta' is time.  Or it least it integrates alpha with respect to beta.

That's all the non-obvious stuff that comes to mind for the moment.

Friendly,
--Lane