[Haskell-cafe] Re: what's the best environment for haskell work?

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 03:40:54 EDT 2010

rustom <rustompmody at gmail.com> writes:

> However I do have an issue regarding debian packaging.
>
> At first I installed ghc
> This brought in
>
> ghc6 ghc6-doc libbsd-dev libgmp3-dev libgmpxx4ldbl
>
> I also added haskell98-report haskell98-tutorial darcs
>
> Then I discovered haskell-platform. I was pleased to discover that the
> link took me directly to the squeeze repos so there is no version
> mismatch between haskell-platorm and squeeze.
>
> apt-getting haskell-platform gave me
>
> alex cabal-install happy haskell-platform libghc6-cgi-dev
> libghc6-deepseq-dev libghc6-glut-dev libghc6-haskell-src-dev
> libghc6-html-dev libghc6-http-dev libghc6-hunit-dev
> libghc6-network-dev libghc6-opengl-dev libghc6-parallel-dev
> libghc6-parsec2-dev libghc6-quickcheck2-dev libghc6-stm-dev
> libghc6-xhtml-dev
>
> However when trying to compile ghc from source I got an error that
> wanted ghc6-prof
> So I got that

Why are you trying to compile GHC from source if you have a distribution
package and are using that?

> Looking around in synaptic (gui for apt) I find that there are a large
> number of libghc-somethings that I still have not got.
>
> So then the question: Whats the real point of the haskell-platform
> package -- if specific libraries have to be got separately?

That Platform is a "starter kit"; there are way too many Haskell
packages available for every distribution to ship all of them!

(Well, it's possible, but infeasible due to the number of packages that
are distro/OS specific, are no longer maintained, etc.).

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com