[Haskell-cafe] Why do "unsafe" foreign calls block other threads?

Gábor Lehel illissius at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 18:49:18 EDT 2010

As far as I know, it works like this:

"unsafe" calls are just executed directly, like any other C function
call; as a result, any lightweight haskell threads which were mapped
onto the OS thread in which the call is made are blocked for the
duration of the call; hence why it's a good idea that these calls
should be short ones. So the blocking is not by intent, but -is- a
direct consequence (of how unsafe calls are made and how GHC's
threading system works). Other OS threads and the haskell threads
mapped to them are not blocked, afaik.

"safe" calls spawn a new OS thread (maybe reuse an existing one if
available?), move the haskell threads over, (do various other
housekeeping?), and then make the call.