[Haskell-cafe] Suggestions For An Intro To Monads Talk.

C K Kashyap ckkashyap at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 01:39:29 EDT 2010

Hi,
Please take a look at this video
http://videoarch1.s-inf.de/FP.2005-SS-Giesl.(COt).HD_Videoaufzeichnung/2005-SS-FP.U09.2005-07-06.HDV.avi

Here Monad's are explained as "something" that helps making your program
modular. The teacher gives an example implementation of an expression
evaluator with and without monads. It takes a complete rewrite to
incorporate changes in the program without monads where as only minor tweaks
are required for the implementation with monads - also, its easier to
identify the location where change needs to be done and the change is
isolated.

And the flow is pretty nice - as in, people will not doze off :)

Regards,
Kashyap

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Colin Paul Adams
<colin at colina.demon.co.uk>wrote:

>    Alexander> On Aug 3, 2010, at 2:51 PM, aditya siram wrote:
>
> > I am looking for suggestions on how to introduce the concept and its
>    >> implications. I'd also like to include a section on why monads
>    >> exist and why we don't really see them outside of Haskell.
>
>     Alexander> Start with functors (things that attach
>    Alexander> values/functions/functors to values in an algebra).  Move
>    Alexander> on to applicative functors (functors that can interpret
>    Alexander> the thing that is getting things attached to it).  Move
>    Alexander> on to monads
>
> Too late! The audience has already dozed off.
>
>    Alexander> (applicative functors where you can
>    Alexander> explicitly control the order of
>    Alexander> evaluation/interpretation).
>

> --
> Colin Adams
> Preston Lancashire
> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> /\  www.asciiribbon.org   - against proprietary attachments

Regards,
Kashyap