[Haskell-cafe] hsb2hs preprocessor looking for a maintainer

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 07:05:58 EDT 2010

Max Bolingbroke <batterseapower at hotmail.com> writes:

> On 4 August 2010 11:39, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> writes:
>>> the problem is that Template Haskell does not work on all architectures,
>>> so the Debian people prefer solutions that avoid TH if it is not
>>> needed.
>>
>> Yeah, we've just come across this problem in Gentoo when dealing with
>> how Haddock behaves when there's TH to be documented in some
>> architectures :s
>
> I didn't know this: is there a corresponding GHC ticket? I can't find
> one, but I could just have chosen the wrong keywords. It seems like
> the right thing to do would just be to make TH work properly rather
> than maintain a special-purpose preprocessor.

Not that I know of; all I know is that Sergei (aka slyfox) disabled
building documentation (for libraries that come with GHC) on some
architectures where ghci isn't available because of this.  My
understanding is that TH uses ghci (or something like it) to evaluate
the expressions, and that when Haddock started understanding TH it also
needed to run ghci to build documentation containing TH.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com