[Haskell-cafe] Re: using Network.CGI

Andrew U. Frank frank22 at geoinfo.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Aug 6 03:58:06 EDT 2010

dear anders

indeed, the example on your page works perfectly and mine now too!

i did misunderstand something basic on how to use network.cgi. my wrong
approach:
1. i copied the program from the web page (commented out the getinput::
line, which seems to be in error).
2. i run it with runghc and pasted the result into a web page; this page
opens in the browser, but does not have actions.

correct is to compile with ghc and copy the executable into the cgi-bin
folder. then it works...

i will put this hint somewhere in the web wiki.

i think this limits what network.cgi can be used for: it will work only
on systems, where the output from the ghc can execute. specifically,
this means, i cannot move the executable to an android mobile phone and
use it there (assuming that there is a web server, e.g. i-jetty, which
understands cgi (does it?)). is this correct?

i appreciated your quick reply - thank you for your help!

andrew