[Haskell-cafe] philosophy of Haskell

Michael Mossey mpm at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Aug 7 06:47:30 EDT 2010

When I started to study Haskell, I was surprised that so much emphasis was
placed on simple things. Monads were introduced to me as basically a
wrapper, and a bind function that unwrapped something and wrapped something
else back up again. I didn't understand what the fuss was about. Later I
saw the amazing feats of expressiveness that were possible. I scratched my
head in confusion---"Wait, say that again?"

Here's a quote from Bertrand Russell about philosophy (read: Haskell). He's
actually being humorous, but it applies, in a way:

"The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to
seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical no one will
believe it."