[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell in Industry

Gaius Hammond gaius at gaius.org.uk
Wed Aug 11 17:34:16 EDT 2010

On 11 Aug 2010, at 08:30, Ketil Malde wrote:

> ng on FP in general as well.
>
> But as I interpreted this thread, the premise was not about the
> morality
> of specific sectors, but rather that finance "takes away" too much of
> the FP talent.  My opinion is that we should rather appreciate
> business
> or organizations willing to fund FP - perhaps especially for "evil"
> organizations, where funds would otherwise go to more nefarious
> purposes.

Investment banking has long been at the forefront of adopting niche
languages ... I know people who worked on APL in banks, and now J (http://www.jsoftware.com/
) and Q (http://kx.com/Products/kdb+.php). Even Perl was big in the
finance industry, before the web brought it into the mainstream. If
you want to work on real world problems (and asset allocation is a
real problem) then this is the place to be... Until the rest of the
world catches up.

Cheers,