Fwd: [Haskell-cafe] ATs vs FDs

Gábor Lehel illissius at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 06:32:24 EDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gábor Lehel <illissius at gmail.com>
Date: 2010/8/14
Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] ATs vs FDs
To: Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com>

You're missing equality constraints for classes.

In other words:

class (a ~ Smaller (Bigger a), a ~ Bigger (Smaller a)) => Vector a
where type Bigger a; type Smaller a

FDs and TFs are equivalent in theory, however their implementation in
GHC has shortcomings on (I believe) both sides. In this case, GHC
unfortunately doesn't yet support equality constraints in class
contexts, which you would need to do some of the things FDs can do.

I believe there are workarounds for this in some cases, including one
which uses plain type classes to encode not-quite-equality, and one
where you just add the constraints to every method of the class
instead, but I don't know the details.