[Haskell-cafe] Re: String vs ByteString

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Sat Aug 14 18:00:23 EDT 2010

Sean Leather wrote:
> Which one do you use for strings in HTML or XML in which UTF-8 has become
> the commonly accepted standard encoding?

UTF-8 is only becoming the standard for non-CJK languages.
We are told by members of our community in CJK countries
that UTF-8 is not widely adopted there, and there is no sign that
it ever will be. And one should be aware that the proportion of
CJK in global Internet traffic is growing quickly.

But of course, that is still a legitimate question for some
situations in which full internationalization will not be needed.

Regards,
Yitz