[Haskell-cafe] Re: String vs ByteString

Sean Leather leather at cs.uu.nl
Sat Aug 14 18:46:28 EDT 2010

Yitzchak Gale wrote:

> Sean Leather wrote:
> > Which one do you use for strings in HTML or XML in which UTF-8 has become
> > the commonly accepted standard encoding?
>
> UTF-8 is only becoming the standard for non-CJK languages.
> We are told by members of our community in CJK countries
> that UTF-8 is not widely adopted there, and there is no sign that
> it ever will be. And one should be aware that the proportion of
> CJK in global Internet traffic is growing quickly.

So then, what is the standard? Being not familiar with this area, I googled
a bit, and I don't see a consensus. But I also noticeably don't see UTF-16.
So, if this is the case, then a similar question still arises for CJK text:
What format/library to use for it (assuming one doesn't want a performance
penalty for translating between Data.Text's internal format and the target
format)? It appears that there are no ideal answers to such questions.

Regards,
Sean