[Haskell-cafe] Re: String vs ByteString

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Sun Aug 15 02:46:43 EDT 2010

Quoth John Millikin <jmillikin at gmail.com>,

> I don't see why [Char] is "obvious" -- you'd never use [Word8] for
> storing binary data, right? [Char] is popular because it's the default
> type for string literals, and due to simple inertia, but when there's
> a type based on packed arrays there's no reason to use the list
> representation.

Well, yes, string literals - and pattern matching support, maybe
that's the same thing.  And I think it's fair to say that [Char]
is a natural, elegant match for the language, I mean it leverages
your basic Haskell skills if for example you want to parse something
fairly simple.  So even if ByteString weren't the monumental hassle
it is today for simple stuff, String would have at least a little appeal.
And if packed arrays really always mattered, [Char] would be long gone.
They don't, you can do a lot of stuff with [Char] before it turns into
a problem.

> Also, despite the name, ByteString and Text are for separate purposes.
> ByteString is an efficient [Word8], Text is an efficient [Char] -- use
> ByteString for binary data, and Text for...text. Most mature languages
> have both types, though the choice of UTF-16 for Text is unusual.

Maybe most mature languages have one or more extra string types
hacked on to support wide characters.  I don't think it's necessarily
a virtue.  ByteString vs. ByteString.Char8, where you can choose
more or less indiscriminately to treat the data as Char or Word8,
seems to me like a more useful way to approach the problem.  (Of
course, ByteString.Char8 isn't a good way to deal with wide characters
correctly, I'm just saying that's where I'd like to find the answer,
not in some internal character encoding into which all "text" data
must be converted.)

	Donn Cave, donn at avvanta.com