[Haskell-cafe] Embedded scripting Language for haskell app

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 07:38:32 EDT 2010

> From: Hemanth Kapila <saihemanth at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Haskell-cafe] Embedded scripting Language for haskell app
>
> Hi,
>
> Can some one please give me a suggestion on the best choice for an embedded
> scripting Language for a haskell application?
> I mean, something like guile/lua for c/c++ and groovy/jruby for java.

I'm sure that the best option depends on the features you want from your
embedded scripting language.  With no prior experience, it took me about 15
minutes to install hint and add scripting support to an application.  This
involves interpreting an EDSL which uses associated types, so at least that
much appears to work without problems.  The example file on the hint project
website is terse but sufficient.

One question I have regards distributing applications using hint.  Does the
target computer need ghc/libs installed?  I think so, but would like to have
this confirmed.  If so, this might be a good reason to use Lua.

John