[Haskell-cafe] A cabal odyssey

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 03:31:23 EDT 2010

> It sounds to me like your life would be a lot easier if you knew about
> cabal-install's root-cmd configuration parameter! Open your
> .cabal/config file and uncomment and set:
>
> root-cmd: sudo

I didn't know about this either.  As an aside, is the cabal config
file documented at all?  I haven't been able to find any.  That means
it's easy to accidentally install everything with no documentation
(why is that the default?) or without profiling libs, which will mess
you up much later when you want profiling and now dependency checking
won't help you reinstall everything.

I was trying to turn on --global by default (which is another one of
those traps... Setup.hs defaults to global but cabal doesn't... and
~/.cabal is not the most obvious place to look for your installed
stuff), but couldn't find a way, and no documentation telling me how.
Is there a way?

And... is the 'cabal' command supposed to have a man page?