[Haskell-cafe] Embedded scripting Language for haskell app

Yves Parès limestrael at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 07:17:02 EDT 2010

Mmh, I raised this question some months ago, I thought about Scheme and I've
been recommended to use Lua instead of Scheme (as far as I remember, the
author of a scheme implementation available on Hackage told it wasn't solid
enough).

I would add something: who will script for your application?
If it is only the developper (i.e. you), you can use whatever language you
want.
But if the application is intended to be extended by its users (just like
modders for games), then it may be preferable to use a -- still good -- but
knowed language. Or at least a language that is easy to learn.
Lua is a nice language, totally simple to learn, and made for scripting.
Haskell is a über powerful language, but it is much longer to learn.
Scheme is simpler to learn than Haskell, but far more "exotic" than Lua.
Anyway, that's just my opinion.