[Haskell-cafe] Re: cabal-install profiling libraries

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 10:17:26 EDT 2010

Johannes Waldmann <waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de> writes:

> Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer <at> web.de> writes:
>
>> The problem is that otherpackages may depend on them too, so when cabal
>> automatically reinstalls, those can break.
>
> how can this be - if the re-installed package is compiled
> from the exact original source (as I just learned, cabal stores the sources)?
>
> or do you mean "the dependent packages must be recompiled" -
> well, then cabal could just do it?

The latter, except that cabal-install doesn't know what you have
installed (it can only go on the information supplied by ghc-pkg for now).

> Of course I understand "lack of developer time".
> Could any of this be forked out as student projects?

Some of it was forked out to a GSoC project (a testing hook).
Otherwise, I'm sure Duncan et. al. will support good-quality patches
that solve the various bugs/feature requests on the bug tracker.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com