[Haskell-cafe] Hackage on Linux

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 22 05:55:21 EDT 2010

Browsing around Hackage, I notice that a seemingly random subset of
packages are available for something called "arch linux". Presumably
some sort of automatic conversion system is involved, but does anyone
know why only certain packages appear?

I've noticed that both Debian and OpenSUSE have a very tiny selection of
binary Haskell packages too. I'm guessing that these packages are also
auto-generated, but presumably selected by hand. (I also don't recall
seeing them listed on Hackage.) Anybody know about that?

In general, is there an advantage to having native packages for Haskell
things? I guess it means you can have binary packages, so you don't need
to build from source. And for executables, it means the native package
manager can track all the dependencies and install them all for you,
potentially without needing a Haskell build environment at all. Is that
it, or have I missed something?